My second post in a week about the arrival of the rosé season. Excited? Me?
Last year I sat out an entire vintage due to my pregnancy (it was easily worth it, of course, and I’ve been catching up since baby grape’s arrival). Just because I wasn’t drinking, however, didn’t mean I didn’t go out and it was at a tasting at the sadly now closed Nice Wine that I met Damien Dubus, the Owner and MD of VinAzur and the veritable Mr Rosé of the Côte d’Azur.
I think there are many wine lovers in this neck of the woods who don’t know where to start when it comes to buying wine on the French Riviera, and, as such, end up stocking up at their local supermarket. Please don’t get me wrong. I’m not being critical. I’ve been there.
But there are some awesome independent wine retailers along this coast and I thought, since summer’s knocking on our door, that it was high time to introduce you to some of them. So here goes. First up? Mr Rosé’s VinAzur!
With a warehouse in St Laurent-du-Var, Damien founded VinAzur in 2012. Drawing upon his experience and network from years working at the CIVP (Conseil Interprofessionnel des Vins de Provence), the official Provence wine body, VinAzur offers a portfolio exclusively composed of wines from the region. Whilst you can visit their premises in St Lauren-du-Var, their excellent website is easy to navigate and the best place to start shopping.
Five reasons to choose VinAzur:
- Undiscovered Gems: Although he stocks the must-have names in the region (Domaines Ott, Château de Berne), Damien’s passion is introducing new, exciting wines from small, unknown producers to the market and helping them grow both in France and internationally.
- The Provence Tricolour: Despite my rosé, rosé, rosé introduction, VinAzur have excellent selections of all three colours of wine: white, red, rosé.
- From Wine to Glass: Because Damien buys directly from the producers, there are no extra mark-ups to inflate the price. In fact, one of the things that stood out when I first came across VinAzur was the honesty of the prices. Which brings me to…
- Value for Money: I don’t know how he does it, but Damien sells his wine for the same price as the producer. You’ll be hard pressed to find such good prices anywhere on the French Riviera.
- Delivery throughout Europe: So you can order a gift box for friends! VinAzur offers free delivery to the Nice metropolitan area, or entrusts reputable courier companies to deliver to you, your friends and family, wherever in Europe you are.
Some favourites under €10 from his selection:
Château Pompilia Cuvée Via Auréa Rosé
(Currently on 2014, but 2015 due to be released shortly) – €7.50 TTC per bottle.
A dry, fresh Côtes de Provence rosé full of delicious red-fruit flavours. Summer in a bottle.
Domaine de la Madrague Cuvée Charlotte Rouge
2010 – €9.90 TTC per bottle, on special
This blend of Syrah and Cabernet Sauvignon from an organic producer in the Var is soft and fruity with a deliciously persistent finish.
Domaine de l’Amaurigue Cuvée Château Blanc
2015 – €7.50 TTC per bottle
This blend of Rolle and Ugni Blanc is full of life, dry and fruity with dazzling freshness and a nice, round finish.
VinAzur is offering readers of the Riviera Grapevine a 10% discount off their first wine order. Enter the Code CHRISSIE at the checkout to validate the offer. This code is valid until October 31st, 2016. Happy shopping!
171 Allée des Architectes, 06700 Saint-Laurent-du-Var
+33 (0)4 92 12 47 55
Store open: Monday – Friday 9am-6pm
Website Open: 24/7